With magnificent dioramic illustrations, Gilbert Ford captures the joy, creativity, and determination behind the invention of an iconic, one-of-a-kind toy: the Slinky!
One day, a spring fell from the desk of Richard James, an engineer and a dreamer. Its coils took a walk…and so did Richard’s imagination. He knew right away that he had stumbled onto something marvelous.
With the help of his wife, Betty, Richard took this ordinary spring and turned it into a plaything. But it wasn’t just any old trinket—it was a Slinky, and it would become one of the most popular toys in American history.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
• Junior Library Guild Selection
• School Library Journal’s 100 Scope Notes top 20 Books of 2016 list
• School Library Journal’s Fuse 8 Best nonfiction picture book list 2016
• All the Wonders Best of 2016 Nonfiction Picture Books list
• Book Links, an educational supplement for Booklist. It is included in their feature article
“Overlooked Inventors and Their Notable Inventions.” November 2016 issue
• CBC’s Best STEM Books list 2016
• Eurika! Honor Award from the California Reading Association
• The Missourian magazine holiday gift ideas
• 2016 Nerdie Book award: Best of Non-fiction list
• Chicago Public Library Best of the Best 2016
• NSTA Best Stem Book 2017
• Bank Street Best List, 2017
• 2nd place in Nonfiction in 2017 New York Book Show
• Texas Horned Toad Tales List
• 2018 Washington Children’s Choice Picture Book Award Master List
• 2018-19 Louisiana Readers’ Choice Award Nominee
•2019 Grand Canyon Reader Award Nominees